LINQ in Action - LINQ Book & News

LINQ in Action is for VB developers too

A frequent question we get about our LINQ book is whether it's been written for C# developers only. If you think so, you're making a mistake.

We cover both C# and VB.NET in the book. This is one big difference with competing books. Even if not all code samples are in both languages all the time in the book, we make sure to demonstrate and explain the differences between both languages when it makes sense.

In addition, to determine if this book is for you before buying it, you can take a look at all the resources we made available for free. This includes 3 free chapters and the source code. You can find them all on the book homepage.
The complete source code for all the code samples in the book is available as a free download. All code files and projects are provided in C# and in VB.

By the way, Jim is a VB.NET MVP. Do you think he'd been ok if we didn't cover VB in the book? Wink

Published Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:20 PM by Fabrice Marguerie

Comments

Dave said:

I have just got the book and as a VB.Net programmer by preference I appreciate how you have treated both languages as equal partners.  I am comfortable reading C# but it's nice to see my favorite language mixed in as well.  Your book provides a model of how publishers can present code so that it is accessible and respectful to all.

March 9, 2008 4:04 PM

Joe Sweeney said:

I'd like to see the LinqBooks.Common classes in VB.

April 29, 2008 4:24 PM

Travis said:

Sorry, but this book does not give nearly as much time to vb as it does for C#.  I've read through chapter 2 and the muddled attempt at VB explanation is very poor.  Can't speak for the rest of the book yet though.  There may be source code, but it is not organized by figure numbers, nor does the source code offer the detailed explanation one expects from a book.

September 10, 2008 2:34 PM

Tony Bailey said:

I'd like to see the LinqBooks.Common classes in VB.

I am not that familiar with C# and am struggling to re-write this in VB so I acn run the VB examples.

June 12, 2009 3:10 AM

Fabrice Marguerie said:

Tony, why do you want to rewrite LinqBooks.Common in VB? This wouldn't provide a lot of added value. There is no LINQ code in LinqBooks.Common that you'd want to study.

Why don't you use the DLL as is, as we do with all the VB examples?

June 12, 2009 7:38 AM
New Comments to this post are disabled